The budget of the Department of the Premier comprises of three main programmes, namely;
- Programme 1: Administration
- Programme 2: Institutional Development
- Programme 3: Policy and Governance
The purpose of Programme One: Administration is to provide executive support to the Premier, Provincial Executive Council and the Director General in respect of strategic and operational management in fulfilling their legislative and oversight functions and in promoting good corporate governance. Budget provision is made for;
- Premier’s Support Service
- Office of the Director General, including the Intervention Unit with the Community Development Worker component and transversal projects of the Forum of Heads of Department (FOHOD)
- Executive Secretariat Services
- Finance Management Services, including Risk Management
- Security Advisory and Management Services
- Internal Audit Services
- Provincial Skills Development
The purpose of this programme is to guide and coordinate Provincial Departments with regard to transverse corporate support functions and to attend to Departmental-specific matters. Budget provision is made for the following;
- HR Advice, Coordination and Management
- Free State Training and Development Institute
- Organizational Development
- Information Technology
- Legal Services and
- Communications, including corporate communication, media strategy and liaison and Thusong Service Centres.
Policy and governance
The provision of provincial strategic management services is achieved through integrated planning and research, cluster and provincial government programme coordination and integration as well as the monitoring and evaluation of government performance. In addition, the Department of the Premier is responsible to give effect to relevant legislation determining inter-governmental relations as well as specific mandates in respect of the coordination of programmes focusing on gender, youth, children, the elderly and people with disabilities.
The Budget Vote Statements of the Department of the Premier is available in the Resource Centre.